|THIS PAGE HAS BEEN LOCKED|
ONLY REGISTERED MEMBERS MAY ADD CONTENT TO THIS PAGE
Missile system which fires one homing missile per shot. The missiles overcome most of the obstacles and are effective even against fast and maneuverable enemies
- — in-game description
|<< PREV||24||Hydra||NEXT >>|
|Damage||930 per missile|| Lock-on
|Range||600 meters|| Automatic
|Reload||12 seconds|| Magazine
|Capacity||6 missiles|| Homing
The Hydra is a mid-range (up to 600 meters) medium homing missile weapon. It has a light and heavy counterpart (Spiral and Chimera respectively) and can be viewed as the medium-range counterpart to the Vortex.
The Hydra fires missiles towards the target and when close enough, the missiles will move in the direction of the targeted robot just like the Spiral and Chimera. The Spiral and Hydra share the same range, damage per missile (negligible difference), and firing arc. However, the Hydra fires up to 6 missile per clip, one missile at a time every 0.67 seconds, giving it an overall higher DPS (damage per second) than its light counterpart.
Another difference between this weapon and its light counterpart, the Spiral, is the Hydra missiles have a "passive tracking system". This means that the missiles "sees" obstacles and correct its flight path, thus hitting the target regardless of an obstacle. Additionally, each missile is launched from the same point and tends to follow a similar trajectory unlike the more chaotic paths of the Spiral. However, for tall and wide obstacles such as roofs, the missiles can't correct their flight path to avoid it as they can't exceed their maximum range distance.
It should be noted the Hydra (like all homing missile weapons) does not have the splash damage effect. However, it can sometimes land on the unprotected part of physical shielded robot and deal damage.
The missiles can be curved by aiming to the left or right within the green targeting bracket that appears when locked on.
If all the missiles are not fired when the target is destroyed (or moves out of range), another target must be locked onto before the remaining missiles can be fired. This can lead to being left with only one or two missiles left in the clip and a long reload time when engaging the next target. However, it is also useful as the first missile can be used to see if the rest of the missiles will hit without using all of the ammo.
Many pilots use Hydras to harass enemies due to its overall low damage output. It is best to pair this weapon with Spirals and Chimeras.
Pros and Cons
- Noticeable damage per clip
- Unloads separately, meaning it will deal damage to a robot after depleting shield, unlike its counterpart Vortex
- Lock-on system makes it extremely hard to miss
- Homing attribute allows it to track enemies behind cover
- Homing attribute allows it to attack fast-moving targets
- 600-meter range allows it to engage in fights from mid-range
- Long reload makes it hard to continue sustained fighting
- Overall DPS isn't very good
- Cannot pierce any shields
- Long unload for barely noticeable damage
- Considered more of a 'nuisance', like Shocktrain (when single-mounted)
|Unload||Min DPS||Max DPS|
|MK 1||Level||MK 2|
|Damage per shot||Damage per magazine||DPS||Cycle DPS||Damage per shot||Damage per magazine||DPS||Cycle DPS|
|MK 3 Level 1||3305||19832||3005||1066|
|4.8.0||Total Upgrade Time: 14 days 3 hours 10 minutes⟶11 days 11 hours 10 minutes|
|4.7.0||Total Upgrade Time: 17 days 3 hours 22 minutes⟶14 days 3 hours 10 minutes|
|4.5.0||Now available for 1,500 gold (can no longer be produced via Workshop 2.0)|
|4.3.0||Firing rate decreased from 0.8 seconds → 1.1 seconds|
|4.2.0||Price changed from 5,650 WP to 10,000 Components (or 1,500 gold)|
|4.0.0||Total Upgrade Cost: 48,005,000 Ag⟶63,940,000 Ag|
Total Upgrade Time: 12 days 21 hours 23 minutes⟶17 days 3 hours 22 minutes
|3.4.0||Damage reduced by 5%|
|3.2.0||Damage increased by 5%|
|3.1.0||Damage increased by 5%|
|2.9.3||Damage increased by 15%|
|2.5.0||Name changed from SMS Hydra to Hydra|
|1.9.0||Firing rate increased by 60%|
|1.1.0||Weapon was added to the game|
- On the test server initial release the Hydra was called "Swarm". Each shell would separate in 6 little shells, for a total damage of 6,000 at level 12.
- A Hydra is a serpentine, dragon like swamp monster in Greek and Roman mythology with multiple heads.
- Prior to the update 3.0 in game description stated "Inefficient against fast-moving robots." which was completely untrue.
- Since War Robots was remastered, one can notice that the missiles fired from the hydra ejects out of the weapon before ignition 0.3 seconds later, this also applies to Spiral, Chimera and the Ao Guang's missile launcher. This is less noticeable with Aphid, Vortex and Thermite.
- Normally, all homing missiles travel at a constant speed. However it can accelerate up to 3 times its normal speed if the target makes very quick or sudden maneuvers in attempt to dodge the missile at the last second, causing the missile to make a very tight turn in order to hit its target.
- This is also possible if the target is face hugging a robot using such weapons.