Defense Points is a special game mechanic similar to robot armor. It provides resistance to damage to robots in a non-linear fashion.
With the introduction of Titans, Defense Points are an integral part of determining how much damage resistance a Titan or Robot (robots such as Fenrir, Falcon, etc.) carries. Defense Points translate to a certain % of damage reduction (reduces damage from all sources), or directly extra % of health.
The formula for resistance (% damage canceled) is
and the formula for % damage received is
where x is the amount of defense points.
NOTE: It is impossible to fully become invincible according to this formula.
This is because the formula is actually hyperbolic, with a bit of translation and stretch to the graph. This means the increase of resistance would gradually slow down and approach 100%, but never reach 100%. Also, the % resistance you get is always less than the Defense Points, and this diminishing will become more and more obvious as the total Defense Points increase.
A much more intuitive and ingenious comprehension of Defense Points is that having x Defense Points is the same as having x% increased durability (neglecting Defense Mitigation). This is easily proven by some easy calculations.
For example, a Haechi with the Legendary Pilot skill gives it 25 permanent Defense Points. It cancels 20% incoming damage, which actually equals giving Haechi 25% more health. Viewing the pilot skill this way shows how it is actually quite good (better than a maxed Armor Expert skill).
Defense Points have weaknesses, and its main vulnerability is Defense Mitigation. A weapon with Defense Mitigation literally mitigates the effect of Defense Points, which means that a portion of Defense Points will be ignored by it. Having x% Defense Mitigation is equal to ignoring x% of the total Defense Points of the enemy.
Examples of items providing Defense Mitigation:
- All Titan weapons, ranging from 50% to 100% by upgrades
- Railguns (Volt, Weber, Gauss), full bypass (100%)
- Nuclear Amplifier, provides 20% to 25% when stack limit is reached
Items Featuring Defense Points
A sizeable percentage of the high-tier content in War Robots integrate Defense Points into their effects. This is a list of all the content that use Defense Points and the amount of Defense Points that they use (at base level).
These are the robots that use Defense Points/damage resistance.
- Ao Guang, with 400 defense points while its ability is active
- Falcon, with 150 defense points while its ability in inactive
- Fenrir, with 100 defense points while in Defensive Mode
- Invader, with 50 defense points while its ability is active, and for 5 seconds after it's over
- Leech, with 900 defense points while its ability is active
- Mender, with 175 defense points while its ability is active
- Phantom, with 50 defense points while its ability is active
- Scorpion, with 100 defense points while its ability is active
- Weyland, with 18 defense points while its ability is active
- Blitz, with 100 defense points while ability is active (Legendary Pilot Clive Vicious is required)
- Typhon, with 900 defense points after losing 20% durability in 3 seconds provided the resistance has not been activated before (Legendary Pilot Louis Duncan is required)
- Haechi, with 25 defense points passively (Legendary Pilot Amalia Itegumo is required)
- Leech, with 234 defense points while its ability is active (Legendary Pilot Isabella Porter is required)
These are all the Titans that use Defense Points/damage resistance
- Ao Ming, with 100 defense points while on the ground, and 47 defense points while flying
- Arthur, with 70 defense points active passively
- Kid, with 27 defense points active passively, and 100 while its primary ability is active
- Murometz, with 30 defense points active passively
- Nodens, with 30 defense points active passively
- Sharanga, with 66 defense points active passively
- Luchador, with with 70 defense points active passively
These are the modules that use Defense Points/damage resistance
- Battle Born, with 25 defense points while the effect duration is active
This table will show you how much damage (%) reduction a robot (or Titan) gains based on its overall defense point value.
|Defense Points||Damage Reduction [%]|
Effective Hit Points
Effective Hit Points is a statistic meant to represent how much damage is needed to destroy a robot when various defensive components and abilities are considered.
Any robot with any sort of damage mitigation effects will have Effective Hit Points that are greater than its standard hit point value. Things that can influence Effective Hit Points are:
- Bonus Hit Points %
- Physical Shields
- Enegry Shields
- Defense Points
The formula for calculating Effective Hit Points is:
((Base Hit Points * (1 + bonus Hit Point %)) * (1 + Damage Reduction %)) + (Physical Shield Hit Points) + (Energy Shield Hit Points)
- Weyland transitions from Standard Mode to Repair Mode. Doing so gives it 18 Defense Points, which affords a 15% damage mitigation value. Thus, a level 1 Weyland's Effective Hit Points in Repair Mode is:
((126,540 * (1) * (1 + .15)) + (0) + (0) = 145,521 Effective Hit Points (vs. it's 126,540 base hit points)
- A Fenrir is in Assault Mode, and is piloted by Bernadette Wolff legendary pilot. This pilot affords Fenrir with +60% hit points (at a cost of lossing its shield ability). Thus, in Assault Mode, the Level 1 B-Fenrir's Effective Hit Points are:
((99,190 * (1+.6) * (1)) + (0) + (0) = 158,704 Effective Hit Points (vs. it's 99,190 base hit points)
- The B-Fenrir now switches to Defense Mode. Doing so gives the bot 100 Defense Points, which affords a 50% damage mitigation value. Thus, in Defense Mode, the Level 1 B-Fenrir's Effective Hit Points are:
((99,190 * (1+.6) * (1+.5)) + (0) + (0) = 238,056 Effective Hit Points (vs. it's 99,190 base hit points)
- Finally, after a many beating, the B-Fenrir decides to equip a Level 4 Ancile Shield in it's heavy slot. While in Defense Mode, the Level 1 B-Fenrir's Effective Hit Points are:
((99,190 * (1+.6) * (1+.5)) + (0) + (52,000) = 290,056 Effective Hit Points (vs. it's 99,190 base hit points)