“…Super-heavy energy weapon that strikes enemies with an arc of high-energy particles. Damage grows as the distance decreases…” – in-game description
|<< PREV||Cataclysm||NEXT >>|
|Damage||715 per plasmoid||Lock-on|
|Capacity||220 charges||Close Combat|
Pros and Cons
- Energy attribute allows it to penetrate energy barriers
- Lock-on attribute makes it extremely hard to miss
- Critical damage at close range (300m or less)
- 600m maximum range allows mid-range combat
- Extremely good at sustained combat
- Ineffective against physical shields
- Damage is marginally reduced at range
- Needs to empty entire clip in order to reload
- Alpha weapon-can only be mounted on Titans
Functioning similar to the Spark , Scourge , Calamity , and Cyclone , the Cataclysm deals damage inversely proportional to distance from the target. In other words, less distance between the enemy translates to more damage. The lock-on time serves as the only conceivable downside, other than the inability to penetrate enemy shields and do splash damage.
The Cataclysm's strength comes from its ability to deal damage across a variety of ranges. Although the Retaliator and Vengeance deal more damage at close ranges, the Cataclysm is more effective at medium ranges, where it can properly excel over other weapons thanks to its pinpoint accuracy. It is the only Alpha weapon that can lock-on to enemies, giving it an edge against robots that rely on speed, or mobility-enhancing abilities for their escape, such as Strider, Rogatka and even the Loki, if not in stealth mode.
However, the Cataclysm's strength, namely lock-on, can prove to be its downfall. Although they are typically mounted on top of Titans, Alpha weapons can still prove to be effective counters against robots that have abilities that allow them to go up into the air in stealth, such as Nightingale, Spectre and Ao Jun. Cataclysm cannot perform this task like other weapons (e.g. Vengeance) can do, as it cannot lock-on to the enemies in mid-air.
- The damage column shows the damage of each individual charge (out of 220 charges)
Defense Mitigation (%)
Defense mitigation is an exclusive weapon attribute (currently only available on alpha and beta weaponry) that allows the weapon's projectiles to bypass a certain % of an enemy robot\titan's overall damage resistance.
|6.0.0||Weapon was added to the game|